- 270 blocks
- Includes 1 figure: German tank commander
- Compatible with other leading brands of construction blocks
- Made in Europe
- Illustrated instructions manual included in each set
- Model dimensions (L x W x H): 10.4″ x 3.3″ x 5.1″
- Recommended Ages: 6 and Up
- Part of COBI Historical Collection: World War II series
History of the M16
The M16 Half-Track was an American multiple gun motor carriage first used during World War II. The White Motor Company, headquarters Cleveland, Ohio designed and manufactured the M16. They first saw service in the U.S. Army beginning in 1943, during World War II and were used through the Korean War. Finally in 1954, the Army took the M16 out of service.
During World War II, M16’s saw service in the Italian Campagin, Operation Overlord (D-Day), the Battle of Arracourt, and the Ardennes Offensive. In addition to the over 3,300 M16’s produced for the U.S. Army, a version produced for export to the Soviet Union under the Lend-Lease program.
The idea behind the half-track, with regular wheels in front, with a track in the back, was to provide a vehicle that handled like a truck, yet had off road capabilities like that of a tank. The M16 was the successor to the M13 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage, replacing it in April 1944.
The M16’s main armament were four .5in M2 Browning machine guns on an M45 Quadmount fitted to an electrically powered turret. This could rotate a full 360 degrees and fire at an angle elevation of -10° to +90°. In addition to its use as an anti-aircraft weapon, the M16 protected convoys from ground targets as well. During the Korean War, the U.S. Marine Corps and South Korean Army used the M-16 half-track, in addition to the U.S. Army.
At the Wisconsin Veterans Museum, our mission is to acknowledge, commemorate, and affirm the role of Wisconsin Veterans in the United States of America’s military past and present. Your purchases help to make this possible. Thank you.